Florida is one of the best places to gamble outside of the city of Las Vegas. The sunshine state is a hotspot of gambling activity, rife with the buzz of blackjack, the lights of the slot machines, the noise of the racetrack and the tension of the poker table. This is the place to go if you want to gamble on greyhound racing or Jai Alai and the place to be for anyone looking for the excitement and buzz of Vegas in a naturally beautiful environment.
Complete Review Guide to Casinos in Florida – Official LegitimateCasino.com List
- The Seminole Hard Rock Hotel and Casino: Located in Hollywood, FL, this resort is run by the Seminole tribe who have a total of 7 resorts and casinos in the state of Florida. This is not only the largest Seminole owned casino, but also the largest casino in the state. This 12 story building has scores of slot machines and blackjack tables, and it also has its own golf course, spa, restaurants and shops. Poker is huge here and as well as a long list of tournaments, cash games and sit and go’s for Hold’em and Omaha, you can also find plenty of tables playing Pai Gow, Three Card Stud and other less popular variants.
- Mardi Gras Casino: Located in Hallandale Beach, the Mardi Gras has been known by many names throughout its illustrious history, where it has served as one of the leading venues for greyhound racing in the state. The track here plays hosts to several stake races and there are also spacious betting rooms available, all of which come equipped with television screens and betting carrells. These days, the Mardi Gras is home to hundreds of slot machines and a poker room, the latter of which is open 24 hours a day and draws in players from all over the state with its large Bad Beat and Royal Flush Jackpots and collection of guaranteed tournaments.
- Miccosukee Resort and Gaming: This is one of the eight Indian casinos in the state of Florida, with the other 7 being owned by a different tribe. The Miccosukee Resort is a huge venue that features plenty of entrainment, shopping and dining, but gambling is the main pull and the reason why this resort is packed night after night. There are upwards of 2.000 slot machines over several floors, and there is also a high stakes area where players can gamble up to $400 on a single spin. There is also a very popular poker room, with guarantee tournaments of up to $100k played on a regular basis, and cash games where the small blind is as high as $10.
- Hialeah Park Race: Hialeah is famous across the length and breadth of the country and still plays an important part in the hearts of the locals. This is one of the most widely recognizable racetracks in the world, and although it has fallen on hard times, it continues to get back up again. These days Hialeah Park is a rich, exciting and vibrant place once again, and as well as racing (which has taken place here for decades) there are also slot machines, electronic games and poker tables available.
- Dania Jai Alai: This gambling venue offers something a little different. Located in Dania Beach, the game of Jai Alai is the central attraction of this casino, but there are also plenty of poker tables and slot machines available. Jai Alai can be played, watched and even gambled upon, and the Dania poker room, which runs regular cash games across a variety of blinds and buy-ins, has one of the largest Bad Beat Jackpots in the state.
- Derby Lane Greyhound Track: First founded back in the 1920’s, this is the oldest continuously operating racetrack in the country. Derby Lane is renowned across the country as the place to experience greyhound racing at its best and as well as live track races, it also has Simulcasting rooms, a poker room and an assortment of slot machines. Derby Lane also hosted the richest every greyhound race and is the place to be for the best trainers and runners in the sport.
- Gulfstream Park: Gulfstream Park is a historic racing venue with live and Simulcasting races run throughout the year, it also has a poker room and 860 slot machines. The poker games are all cash games and are fairly limited; the buy-ins begin at just $20 but there are much higher stakes available. Gulfstream Park is also home to The Village, a huge shopping and entertainment area that is separate from the casino and provides a great family day out, with brand-name shops, restaurants and events.
- The Isle Casino at Pompano Park: Pompano is one of the biggest and most visited harness racing venues in the United States. This is where the big harness races are run and where the big hitters in the sport come to play. The racing runs for a few months at the end of the year, but there is simulcasting action available when the live racing finishes. There is also a popular poker room onsite, providing a range of limit and no limit cash games and tournaments. The Isle Casino at Pompano Park has a number of restaurants and some of the best music entertainment around.
- Seminole Casino Immokalee: The Seminole Immokalee is one of the Seminole tribe’s flagship casinos, and although it is not as big as some of the others, it still has everything that you would expect from such a well established casino brand. There are stacks of slot machines and table games here, including blackjack, craps and roulette, and there is also a top of the range poker room, with high and low stakes action of Texas Hold’em and other versions of this popular card game. The Seminole Casino Immokalee also has plenty of eateries and there are entertainment acts, promotions and events that run throughout the year.
- Tampa Bay Downs: This racecourse was founded in the mid-20’s and is one of the best places in the south to watch live racing. Tampa Bay Downs has changed names many times over the years, but it remains as a top racing venue. These days there is also a poker room, known as the Silks Poker Room, which hosts a number of limit and no limit poker games, and stacks of tournaments. Tampa Bay Downs also has a golf course onsite, a huge 22-acre course that can cater for amateur and experienced players alike.
- Victory Casino Cruises: Casino cruises leave from up and down the shores of the United States, but the best and most popular cruises hail from the sunny shores of Florida, and Victory Cruises are the biggest and the best of the lot of them. These cruise ships leave for over 4 hours at a time and have everything you could need, from bars and restaurants, to gaming tables, poker tables, slot machines, simulcasting and even sportsbooks.
- Creek Entertainment Gretna: This gaming venue is new to the scene and provides top racing and gaming action for the residents of Florida, who love to gamble more than anyone. Creek Entertainment Gretna offers more than just standard racing and provides plenty of horse related entertainment and facilities to cater for inhabitants in the northwest region of the state. There is also a poker room here, with everything from Omaha and Hold’em to Badugi and Triple Draw games available.
- Daytona Beach Kennel Club and Poker Room: Located close to Orlando, this venue has one of the biggest and most exciting poker rooms in the state. There are over 55 poker tables here, with most popular variants of the game (limit and no limit) available. There are plenty of tournaments, sit and go’s and cash games, and the venue attracts professionals, amateurs and out-and-out gamblers from miles around. Greg Raymer is a regular here and as well as playing in the bigger tournaments, the WSOP bracelet winner also teaches a poker bootcamp.
- Ebro Greyhound Park and Poker Room: This venue opened in the 1950s and to date stands as a popular choice for simulcasting, live racing and poker. The greyhound season runs through the spring and summer and the rest of the facility is open for most of the year. The poker buy-ins here begin at just $20 and the prizes on offer can run into the tens of thousands. There is also a poker academy, several promotions and jackpots, and plenty of entertainment and dining options to keep all of the family happy.
- Flagler Greyhound Track and Magic City Casino: Live and simulcasted races team up with exciting poker and slot machine action for an all-round venue located in the heart of Miami. At the Flagler Greyhound Track and Magic City Casino there are electronic gaming terminals for those who like the personal and private touch, and this 50+ year old venue also has a wealth of entertainment facilities and restaurants that can keep the entire family happy and well fed.
- Fort Pierce Jai Alai and Poker: This is the largest Jai Alai venue in the world, with several courts and dozens of players and teams. Jai Alai is big in Florida and the Fort Pierce Jai Alai and Poker is the biggest venue in which to enjoy what has been referred to as the “fastest game in the world”. There are games played on a daily basis here, and in the unlikely event that you tire of this super-sonic action, then you can head for the poker room or the simulcasting room, with plenty on offer in both.
- Hamilton Jai Alai and Poker: This is a big venue in a small town, providing Jai Alai gambling and a small poker room to the locals of the Jasper area. The Hamilton Jai Alai and Poker only has a handful of poker tables and there aren’t many players here, but the quality of play is also low and a professional or skilled player can clean up. If passing through the town, then the Hamilton Jai Alai and Poker is definitely worth a visit, the Jai Alai facility is one of the best for miles around and the poker room is also a relaxing and interesting experience.
- BestBet Orange Park Kennel Club: This greyhound racing venue is located in Jacksonville, Florida, and has been serving this large city for a number of years. This is a great place to bring the family and splash out on some high-stakes racing action and some quality dining options. There is also a simulcasting room for the more hardcore racing fans, and a poker room for anyone looking to test their luck against Jacksonville’s finest.
- Melbourne Greyhound Park and Club 52: Although it began as just a greyhound racing facility, this venue was later boasted by the addition of a casino and now it has become a popular choice for poker players and gamblers for miles around. There are live greyhound races run here during the on-season and there is plenty of simulcasted races to watch and bet on in the off-season, with horses, dogs and Jai Alai all covered. The Club 52 poker room is one of the best around, with a selection of tournaments, sit and go’s and cash games available, all of which are available in a range of buy-ins.
Florida is a great choice for land based casinos, a place to enjoy all the glitz of Vegas whilst you sun yourself on the beaches of this great state. Dog racing is also very big business in Florida so it’s recommended that you pay a visit to a casino that caters for dog racing events. The thrill and the speed of Florida dog racing is popular with locals and tourists alike, and it’s an experience that you shouldn’t pass up. One of the best places to experience this popular pastime is in the Derby Lane casino, located in Saint Petersburg, FL. Not only can you take advantage of the 25 poker tables on offer, pitting yourself against Florida’s finest amateur players in Texas Hold’em and 5 Card Stud, but they also hold one of the most popular race books in the state, allowing you to bet on greyhound racing from sunrise to sunset.
If race books in a casino environment are your thing, then the Calder Casino and Race Course has just what you’re looking for. As well as fine dining experiences, great entertainment and regular Bingo games, the Calder Casino and Race Course — which is owned by Churchill Downs — has horse racing facilities that can compete with the standards set by other great southern states such as Kentucky. Their have a wide variety of casino games and poker games and they also run regular promotions and tournaments. The Calder Casino and Race Course was voted the best casino in South Florida by Local Top Ten, and once you sample the many games and experiences on offer it’s easy to see why.
Although yet to prove as popular as the Calder Casino and Race Course, the Hialeah Park Racing and Casino venue is also well worth a visit. This race book and casino opened as recently as August 2013, so it has a lot to do in order to catch up with its competitors, but it’s already proving to be a very popular venue. The casino is huge and features nearly 900 slot machines and 23 poker tables, along with a race book.
If racing isn’t your thing, then there are bigger and grander casinos that cater purely for the gamblers that are attracted to the big lights and loud noises of slot machines, the chaos and the excitement of roulette, or the skill, tension and thrill of poker and blackjack. The biggest casino in Florida by far is the Seminole Hard Rock Hotel and Casino which is located in Hollywood, FL. The Seminole Casino brand is well established in Florida, providing the premier destination for Floridian gamblers and tourists who want to test their luck. The Seminole are an Indian tribe so the casino falls under Indian gambling laws. They opened their first casino in 1979 and have been going strong ever since, providing innovating and unique technology and impeccable customer service.
The Hollywood branch of the Seminole Casino has over 2000 gaming machines and is popular with local poker players who toss the chips on the 48 poker tables. Whether you’re into low stakes, high stakes, Hold’em or Omaha, the Seminole has what you need. There is also a restaurant, bar and hotel located within the casino, providing a complete experience for any thrill-seeking tourists visiting the area. Hollywood, FL is also home to poker superstar and Team Pokerstars Pro Jason Mercier, so if you fancy your chances against one of the big boys, then you might just run into them here.
The second biggest Seminole casino, and the second biggest casino in the state of Florida, is the Seminole Hard Rock Hotel and Casino in Tampa, FL. This casino might not be as big as the one in Hollywood, but there are still over 1800 slot games and 32 poker tables to sample. Anyone looking for a game of Omaha Hi/Lo or Seven Card Stud should definitely check it out. The Seminole also has casinos in Okeechobee, Coconut Creek and Immokalee, all of which offer an abundance of choice.
Florida is clearly a great place to be if you love to gamble and love the bright lights and welcoming atmosphere of a casino. It’s not all about beach bodies, Disney World and sunshine, and there’s a whole other world waiting for you indoors.